We are well into a new and great season for the shared use trails at Dryer Road Park in Victor. The trails are riding very well in general and we have been out with multiple work parties, building new trails and fixing others.
Breaking it down:
- KIOSK- Brian Emelson and the crew at Parks and Rec have built a beautiful new kiosk with multiple windowed sections backed with cork board and hung wipe boards, allowing us to keep visitors informed about Random Postings, Upcoming Events and Work Parties, Trail Conditions, etc.
- SIGNAGE- Mary Lee keeps creating hand made trail signs
- WINTER DAMAGE REPAIR- some folks couldn't avoid riding when the trails were still wet and soft. Most of the damage has been repaired. We had to bring in a front loader with dirt and acres of volunteers to fill in the low spots on the path in the lower field near the parking lot, and we made some new grade reversals, too.
- NEW TRAILS- with 37 volunteers on one work party, including an Eagle Scout candidate and his troop, as well as many GROC members, we made 2 new, short trails, one extending Tree Beard to Victor Hiking Trail (VHT) and the other bringing VHT itself into the woods and merging with the newTree Beard extension.
- VHT REFURB- we are well into a multistage, multi-day project fixing a badly eroded trail. We have used various construction techniques to create grade reversals to improve drainage. This is the Rte 490 of Dryer Road which gets the most wear and its substance has been that of a large sandbox
- TRAIL CLOSURES- for the time being, and until these trails can be made safer and sustainable, both Humpty Dumpty and CMP were taken off line.
FUTURE PLANS- Soon, we will have our annual Prune in June work party, to keep the trails passable. We have flagged one possible new trail and at least one reroute. We will try to get something worked out in the Humpty/CMP area that will be fun, safe and sustainable. Not sure how soon.
Please, join GROC Trail Crew and watch for future work parties that you can join.
|< Prev||Next >|